Department Of Mechanical Engineering
Of the many engineering disciplines, Mechanical Engineering is the broadest, encompassing a wide variety of engineering fields and many specialties. The mechanical engineers are employed in an enormous range of technical areas including: acoustics, air-conditioning, automatic controls, computer-aided design, energy management, fluid dynamics, robotics, biomechanics and turbo machinery, just to name a few. Mechanical engineering is a challenging, rewarding and highly respected profession.
The department of Mechanical Engineering at Panimalar Polytechnic College with its commitment to excellence educates the engineers of tomorrow by integrating classroom theory and practical hands-on projects, and also by emphasizing the process of learning and critical thinking by conducting industrial visits.
The teaching and research programs in the department are organized according to both disciplinary and inter-disciplinary themes. We cover all the core disciplinary areas of Mechanical Engineering including dynamics, controls, solid mechanics, materials, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, automobile and design.
The Mechanical Engineering department has well equipped laboratories enabling the students to apply and verify the fundamentals that they have learned at the classrooms. There are separate labs for each of the semesters that include:
- Computer Applications and CAD Laboratory (Air Conditioned)
- Foundry and Welding Laboratory
- Lathe and Drilling Laboratory
- Metrology and Metallography Laboratory
- Strength of Materials and Fluid Mechanics Laboratory
- Special Machines Laboratory
- Electrical Drives & Control Laboratory
- Process Automation Laboratory (Air Conditioned)
- Thermal and Automobile Laboratory
- Life and Employability Skills Laboratory (Air Conditioned)
- Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Laboratory (Air Conditioned)
- Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing Laboratory (Air Conditioned)
- Machine Tool Testing and Maintenance
To provide insight and knowledge of the industrial environment students are escorted on industrial visits to firms such as:
- Ashok Leyland – Ennore.
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation – Neyveli
- Salem Steel Plant - Salem
- Thiruthani Co-operative sugar mills – Thiruthani
- Integral Coach Factory – Chennai
Value Added Programs
The following programs are conducted to enrich the technical knowledge of the students apart from their regular course of study :
- Aptitude test
- Personal Development Programs
- Group Discussion, Seminars..